Monday, September 26, 2011

Consumption With A Kill A Watt

I was amazed at some of the things I found around the house that draw power just sitting there doing nothing. This thing is easy to figure out and program in your cost per Kwh.A couple of things I found by using this device:
-- the entertainment center costs me $15 a year to have just sit there in standby mode. This is a 42" LCD TV, surroundsound system, DVD player, Wii,
If I watch a DVD or play the Wii, it costs me 40 cents a day, or about 3.33 cents an hour.
-- My gaming computer (Dual Core, 500 watt power supply and 19" LCD) cost me $99 a year to run 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. That includes the occasional laser printing and occasional 2.1 speaker usage. So I turn it off more often.
-- Cell phone charger: .86 cents a year, but when charging it costs me $1.73 a year.
-- New coffee pot costs me between 5-7 cents to brew a pot of coffee and let it sit for a couple hours.
-- Toaster at 350-degrees costs me about 11 cents an hour.
-- Dell laptop charger costs me about $1.70 a year to keep it plugged in. It's about a penny and hour to charge the laptop's battery.
-- NOAA handheld weather radio costs 86 cents a year to run 24/7

In the end, it seems like it is only really worth the trouble to unplug the entertainment center when not in use and turn off the computer more often. Sure, everything draws power, but we factored in the hassle of it versus the cost.

We have been unplugging stuff around the house when we are not home, and began to wonder how much we are saving. This thing has helped out in deciding what's worth going through the hassle of unplugging each time, and the results are almost instantaneous. I highly recommend using this device to settle the score in the fight against wasted energy usage or even in helping decide which devices/appliances around your house aren't worth owning due to ridiculous power draws. So thinking about buying a kill o watt tool is great tool to have and start saving money,and it also helps when you are ready to buy a solar system,you will be surprise to save thousand $$$$.

This meter was to calculate which electrical devices and appliances I would be able to connect to the small solar power system I currently have, and to find out which electrical devices and appliances are sucking up the most power in hopes to figure out a way to reduce overall power consumption.




1 comment:

  1. Nice case study! there are some power strips/power bars that detect when the devices plugged into it are inactive and will actually turn off the specific outlets these devices are plugged into! This reduces the hassle of going around to each power bar and flipping switches off etc.
    @swebner

    http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/smart-power-strips-helping-to-stop-idle-current-now.html

    ReplyDelete